VR Game Design Basics
A COURSE FOR STUDENTS OR PROFESSIONALS CONSIDERING MAKING THEIR FIRST VIRTUAL REALITY APPLICATION
WHAT: We will take an in-depth look at what makes a good VR game, and put it to use in your game or a standard solution we'll build together.
WHO: Students with a basic understanding of game design, yet want to make something they are proud of.
CLASS TYPE: 2 to 6 virtual students, LIVE teacher
About the Course
A more intensive Unity class than the Game Development calls especially for people considering switching careers, or who are currently working on a degree.
The goal is to focus on the overall architectural systems of Unity, and then release you for a "capstone" project work time with a live instructor on the call with them
Why Take This Course?
Great for those serious about making their first experience
Movement, HUD, Haptics/Sound, Attention Span
1. VR Motion Sickness -- what is it, what causes it, the science of VR Sickness
2. Current state of Movement mechanics -- exploring different uses of movement mechanics, what works and what doesn't (Windlands 2, Half-Life Alyx, Gorn, etc)
3. HUD -- how to communicate with your player without traditional HUD?
4. Haptics and Sound -- how to immerse your player, and why that is more important in VR than standard game design
5. Attention Span -- average play time in VR, replayability, and overwhelming a player
6. Other considerations to making comfortable experiences in VR -- Framerate, overheating headsets, etc.
7. Game Demos
What do I need to know
There are no pre-reqs for this course, however, this is the perfect secondary course after completely the intro to game development
Online Virtual Remote via the CGAplatform (see email for link or contact us at CGA@mxtreality.com)
Owing to COVID, this course may be available on-site. Please contact us for more info by email
Monday Through Friday – 10am to 4pm PST